Friday, February 28, 2014

GUESS WHAT I'M GONNA HELP JESUS MONTERO DO?


I’m appalled.  I just can’t get over the fact that Jesus Montero is a fat load.  After I read the article posted on BYB last week, JESUS MONTERO IS A FAT LOAD, I just felt badly for him and frankly for me.  He was one of our guys and he had such a bright future in front of him.  What happened? How could anyone let himself get that way; especially an athlete like Montero who has the makings to be a great one.

My friend and I were at the gym, ironically, the other evening and we started talking about Montero and his recently reported forty pound weight gain.  While in Seattle last week, she resisted the urge to buy a Jesus Montero tee shirt but almost bought a Robinson Cano tee just to annoy me.  That’s a different story for another day.  As we were talking about how we were sad that Jesus Montero was traded a couple of years ago, she blurted out in desperation, “I love that fat slob.”  We both burst into laughter.  I immediately envisioned the big white bear who extinguished the flame at the recent closing ceremonies of Olympic games as I thought of Montero stumbling onto the field forty pounds heavier.  And then I had an epiphany.  How can I help Jesus Montero lose weight?


We’ve written stories here at BYB about the importance of being fit, of having a fit mindset and the success stories of our guys who got lean in the offseason so they could get a jump-start on the new season.  Guys like CC Sabathia, Mark Teixeira and even Derek Jeter have more spring in their step this year.  San Francisco Giants infielder Pablo Sandoval has reportedly lost 42 pounds.  I guess he gave 40 of those unwanted pounds to his west coast neighbor, Jesus Montero.


Now shy of joining NBC’s the Biggest Loser next season, Jesus Montero can make some quick changes to his diet and fitness regiment that can help yield him results on his waistline and his trips up the baseline this spring.  According to Men’s Fitness, some foundational changes like eating a protein filled breakfast, having three healthy snacks a day, cutting out the fries and chips, bypassing the soda and adding nuts to your diet to satisfy your need for something crunchy can have some immediate effects on your weight.  These changes coupled with a weightlifting regiment to build the muscles you need to “stoke your metabolism” and interval training to get your burn going can improve your core.  “Break your speed limits by boosting your speed with intervals. You'll not only get faster, but your gut with flatten in no-time,” according to Men’s Health.


I guess the most important ingredient to losing weight and getting fit is to want it.  He admitted to just eating after winter ball and gained much more weight than anyone anticipated.  But now it’s time to take an interest in conditioning and nutrition and frankly a work ethic much like Sabathia’s and Jeter’s to get back to where he was and to spring forward.  It takes dedication and will power.  I hope he finds some and heeds the advice from his trainers, general management and even us at BYB.  We wish you success, Jesus.  We hope you make it back, leaner and fitter. 





--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Opinion Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof



You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017