Saturday, September 28, 2013

YOU DON'T KNOW BAD YANKEE TEAMS PAL!

I’m apologizing to my friend, but only alittle...


Last week, a buddy of mine got a little emotional about Mo’s retirement. And me being the true friend that I am, what else would I do besides ripping the dude to shreds?  There may have been a tampon comment along the way...but this is guy talk.  Sometimes you need to break balls.   A few days later I realized I may have been a little harsh. But rather than feeling guilty for what I said, I started to feel bad for him.  He couldn’t control himself. He didn’t know anything else. Don't follow me? Keep reading...


Fact: the Yankees have been good for the last 20 years. That has spoiled a whole generation of fans. They don’t know anything else. While this run has been amazing, it really has done Yankee fans a dis-service. He became a baseball fan in the mid-90s. His heroes are Bernie, Jeter, Jorge, Mo, and Andy. He doesn’t know anything else.. Five championships in 14 years…I get it, it's over. His heroes are gone and the farm is barren. I only see dark days ahead for my Yankees...my opinion of course.

(In Photo: Alvaro Espinoza)

This is good for my buddy. Maybe he can appreciate what he had. I’ve always appreciated what’s been done over the last 20 years. I grew up in the 80's. I’ve seen bad teams. Anyone remember Ron Kittle and Alvaro Espinoza? I also feel bad for long suffering Mets fans. Every time I say that people get on my case, but it's true, I do. I remember the dark days.

But back to my friend. He had to realize this day would come. How could he think it would last forever? People get old. Players come and go. Empires rise and fall: Rome, Sparta, Ottoman. The Steinbrenner Empire had to end at some point too. Plus, Tom Hanks was right – There is no crying in baseball, even though Casey wrote there is (read HERE.)  There is no crying... none, zip!  It's just a game!


Having said that, the only time I ever cried over baseball was Game 7 of the 2001 World Series. As a New Yorker, that was a rough few months.

I’ll leave you with this; 2013 was not a good year for our Yankees. 


While my buddy is crying over his heroes hanging up their cleats, I’ll be cheering my childhood hero as he leads the other blue bleeding team from the opposite coast to the World Series... go Donnie go!



--Lem Allen, BYB Contributor
Email me at: bybcurmudgeon@gmail.com



The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017