Thursday, September 26, 2013

MO, ANDY & MOVING ON

We were officially eliminated last night, but I can't help but continue to think about this past Sunday...


It was sort of surreal. Metallica playing live at Yankee stadium. Mariano Rivera walking to the infield to be surrounded by family, friends, and teammates, old and new. A ceremony to honor a man that has given everything to the team. And then Andy Pettitte making his way to the mound, for his last game in pinstripes.

Mo, and Andy were huge parts of my childhood. The core four started playing when I was young. I clung to them immediately. The four of them Mo, Andy, Jorge Posada, and Derek Jeter, helped me grow as a fan. If they triumphed, if they failed, they did so together. They were a team. A brotherhood.


I remember watching them all struggle for acceptance. Not just from fans, but from the front office. The Boss, George Steinbrenner, held his reservations on the four of them. Rookies. Still wet behind the ears. Mo couldn't be a starting pitcher, Jeter was a rookie starting at shortstop, Jorge was just a back-up, and Andy who started in our bullpen, was demoted back to the minors. We had our doubts. How can these young kids become Yankees? There was no way. But if it is one thing they all have in common, a single thread that unites them all, is that they play with more heart than I have ever seen. Put simply, they grind it out!


Andy is a true warrior. When he decided to come back to the Yankees, we rejoiced. He has a commanding presence about him. He is a leader, which I guess can be said about the Core Four in general. He means business on the mound. He has led us through some tough times, and still holds the record for most post season wins. And through it all, he has remained absolutely humble. Quiet, poised, and dedicated to this team.

Mo is the complete embodiment of a team player. Everything he does is for the team. He is humble. A leader, and a true gentlemen. Mo is the American Dream come to life. The son of a fisherman, who played baseball with milk cartons, and rocks achieving the ultimate success through hard work and dedication. If Mo's story does not inspire you to give 150% into everything you do, you haven't been paying attention.


I had a hard time letting go of Jorge. I still am moved to tears when I see him at Yankee stadium, and often find myself asking "What would Jorge do?" Next year, there will just be Jeter out there.


No more will he have the support of his brothers on the field. It will be strange, and will fill me with an empty sadness I have not felt about towards the team, since Jorge threw out the first pitch to his father at the 2012 season opener.

I couldn't possibly ask for more from Mo, or Andy, or any of the core four. They gave and continue giving everything to this team. They have shown me true hard work, and dedication pays off with success. And I couldn't possibly thank them enough. Not for the championships, but for the life lessons I have learned through watching them. They are my childhood heroes, and will continue to be an inspiration to young aspiring athletes for generations to come.


 

--Erica Morales BYB Senior Writer
Twitter: @e_morales1804



The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017