Tuesday, July 30, 2013

TINO MARTINEZ SPEAKS OUT


Give props to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. He got the interview with Tino Martinez and why he resigned from the Marlins.  According to Tino, it was all about picking up the balls after soft toss.  Apparently some of the Marlins thought they were "too big" to do that petty job.  The full Tino interview is HERE, but I took some key parts of it and they are below... it's pretty good!

Here's Tino:

“Do you realize I’m out of baseball basically because a couple of players didn't pick up balls in the cage when I asked them to? As a coach, when I asked them to pick up the balls, why didn’t they just say, ‘Absolutely, no problem, I’ll do it right now.’ ”

“I started thinking about it, thinking I’ve got to say something, not just let it go away. I’ve had a great reputation in this game for years. I walked away from the game with integrity. But now, to have a couple of kids try to ruin my name, I felt I had to say something and fight back.”


“If Bernie Williams is hitting in front of me and I’m waiting with Paul O’Neill or whoever, there are no questions asked... You help pick the balls up, and the next guy hits. Whoever is hanging around helps pick the balls up. It's standard.


"One day I told Juan Pierre, ‘One of these days, he’s going to help us pick up the balls. He’s a 27-year-old journeyman. You’re a 15-year big leaguer. He will help us pick up the balls,’ ... So finally after about a month or so goes by, I decide I’m going to tell him something: ‘Hey Chris, help us pick up the balls.’ And he goes, ‘Why should I? I didn’t hit ‘em.’ And I said, ‘Pick up the balls, you’re part of this team.’ And he goes, ‘But I didn’t hit ‘em.’ So, I got in his face and I said, ‘Pick up the f------ balls. You’re part of this f------ team.’ I got in his face and said it kind of angrily. And he picked up the balls."


"Chris", is infielder Chris Valaika.  Now, not to compare this to little leaguers, but it's about respect for your coach and your team. When my son's little league team finishes soft toss, the coach yells, "Pick 'em up!!" and these kids pounce. It should be no different in the Major Leagues, it's a team building exercise. Sure, you may not want to do it, but you should do it.

I side with Tino on this one... I must say.

The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017