Wednesday, January 26, 2011

UPDATE: WHY TODAY IS D-DAY

UPDATE 10:01PM EST: According to Craig Calcaterra from Hardball Talk: "A source close to Andy Pettitte tells me that there is a “very strong possibility” that Pettitte is going to pitch in 2011. He is doing his usual preseason workouts and has had no physical issues thus far. Moreover, the source tells me that Pettitte’s hesitation to confirm that he is coming back for the upcoming season is in no way connected to the Roger Clemens trial, which was something that many had speculated about." - - GREAT WORK CRAIG

UPDATE
: The Yankees have made a formal offer to Andy Pettitte. 1 Year, $12 million.
The balls in your court Andy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in the winter of 2009, January 26th in fact, Andy Pettitte decided to pitch for the Yankees again. That decision ended up giving the Yankees a 27th Championship that October with Andy Pettitte starting the final game to clinch the title. Today, in the winter of 2011, it's January 26th, 2 years later and up to this point I was pretty sure, even though I had brief panic attacks, that Andy Pettitte was coming back. I was always aware of this date and I know that Andy is too.
That being said, if no decision was to come from Andy today, well, we'll be in uncharted waters and I don't know what to say.

Girardi says he speaks to Andy once a week. There are many reports that Andy's working out. There are some reports that suggest that Girardi isn't 100 percent sure if Andy's working out. There are reports that Mariano Rivera was going to give Andy a call. There are even reports that Cashman says he's talked with Andy. But no one, NO ONE knows what's going on in Andy's head, but Andy.

For a long time, in numerous posts, I've left my emotions on my sleeve on this whole ordeal. My heads scattered as I try to piece this rotation together in my head. If Pettitte comes back, obviously, it fixes the problem. If we try and fix this with a free agent, and believe me, it's a Motley Crew, it's a temporary fix until a bigger move happens, a trade or otherwise. Then you have the Yankee farm. You have quality down there but my only concern is their virginity.

Tomorrow is Janaury 27th, Ladies and Gentlemen. We've never seen Andy Pettitte not commited to the Yankees at this point in history. It's a cause for concern, for sure. Every New York Yankee fan that loves this team should be concerned because it's a tough situation. What we have is Cashman and his not willing to commit to anyone else until he has a clear indication of what Andy wants to do, and at the same time, we don't know anything. The longer we wait, whatever scraps are left, will be snatched up. If Andy hangs it up February 3rd, we may be stuck with Sergio Mitre. Damn, it's a tough spot.

Well, you know what I'd do. I'd get a Vet signed and if Andy comes back, pile it on. I know it's not quality with that veteran, but it's a body with hopefully a record to show for him. And if Andy says "I'm back", move that newley signed vet to 4 or 5. But what do I know, I'm not the GM, I'm just a blogger with a love for my team, the greatest franchise in baseball history, the New York Yankees.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017