Thursday, September 30, 2010

WHY CC DESERVES THE CY YOUNG

All week I'm hearing about how King Felix is a lock for the Cy young this year. His 13-12 record, 2.27 ERA and 232 stikeouts are mentioned over and over again. I see what they're saying. But let's make this analysis simple ok?

CC Monster, as I refer to him, is 21-7 this season on a team that has been the the playoffs twice in 2 years that he's been the ace. While his ERA is higher at 3.17 and has less strikeouts, 197, I feel like it really comes down to wins. Did the pitcher give the team more chances to win. CC has 8 more wins on King Felix. That translates to Yankee wins. The Yankees record is 94-65. They are a half game out of first. The Seattle Mariners are in last place in their division, 61 and 97. While Felix has 13 of those wins for the Mariners, it's not enough, if it was, they'd be in 3rd or 2nd, possibly even first.

I understand the basis for their decision making as well. Cy Young is an individual award. So is the MVP. But it's an individual record that is also weighed with team production, isn't it? Shouldn't it be?

Yes, Felix is 1st in ERA and strikeouts. But what else are we reviewing here? Sabathia is 1st in the AL in Wins, and I believe 7th in strikeouts and his ERA is respectable. All I'm saying is it seems like a no brainer to me considering where the teams are in their respective divisions.

And I hate to say it, Jon Lester of the Red Sox has pushed himself into the debate as well. 19-6 with a 2.27 ERA. If you go by my formula he passes Felix as well.

Food for thought but as far as I'm concerned, CC is the man. Here are the stats as of 9/30/2010. Check them out:












Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017